Wednesday, March 22, 2017

It's time for a new post!

Let's get straight into it, shall we? No waffling about how I haven't posted in over a month - I've got news and pictures to share and don't want to waste any time.

But first - lambs!!!!




Happy Spring, everyone!



Now, in our last episode, I had just met some creative people in Hay-on-Wye. That led to my joining the Marches Book Arts Group (MBAG), which meets monthly in the beautiful little town of Clun, near these fine gentlemen.


sculpture by Jemma Pearson

The group is preparing for an exhibition in Hay-on-Wye in April, the Hay Book Arts Trail, which will have displays in shop windows around town. It'll be up in time for Bookstagram 2017, a weekend of events celebrating Hay's 40th anniversary of 'independence'. It is going to be amazing!




I'll have some work in Timeless Treasures, an antiques shop. But if you can't make it to Hay - maybe you live 5,000 miles away - let me show you my little treasures.

The first one is Alt Album. I made a little photo album using scans of my own travel photos circa 1990. I cut and pasted, analogue-style, little pictures of my grandparents into the scenes - my grandfather is carrying a suitcase, ready for their journey.


cover material taken from old Larousse French encyclopedia - Je seme a tout vent means 'I sow to all winds'

at the White House

in Rome

by the Parthenon in Athens


The next one returns to one of my favourite mediums - an Altoid tin.




I made another Petit Bibliotheque. I really love this one!




The other two are simple small journals. This one is dos-a-dos style with two sets of pages.





The next one has a bird theme and uses repurposed papers for the pages, some with little pockets.





So, that's what's been keeping me busy - and sane and happy. That, and long walks in beautiful scenery, in all kinds of weather.









See you in Hay!

Val

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely area you live in.

    I hope your art show goes well.

    Each of your pieces is a little world unto its own.

    They have the best names for places over there.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lambs, fog and giant trees - what lovely scenery you have access to! I'm sure you will get positive feedback on your little creations from the antique shop customers. It is very often our creative pursuits that keep us sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Your new Bibliotek is beautiful! Your tins are genius! I am so impressed. Lovely journals too! I hope that the Hay festival was fab! One year I will get there!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Val, since some years I like to read your blog because I like your paper art (the little boxes!), the way you write and the nice photos. Thank you! In the US you were so far away (I live in Germany), when you moved to Wales you were nearer but still some hundred miles away. But soon (in May) I will come to Wales! I am so happy. We will go to the coast, but maybe we will pass Hay-on-Wye. You inspired me to visit Wales, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke schon for your lovely comment! I hope you will enjoy your trip to Wales - it is beautiful. Hay-on-Wye will be very busy in late-May with the big Hay Literary Festival, so be prepared if that's when you're visiting.

      Delete
    2. So we have been to Wales and we have been to Hay! We enjoyed it so much and we will surely come back. Hay is such a beautiful little town and the bookshops... never seen anything like this. I could dive in and did not want to come out again. Secretly I hoped to see you somewhere. I would have walked over and said: Hi, Val, I am Juliane, I know you from your blog! but - alas - it did not happen. I hope you are well and just too busy to write here. Now I ve become a real Wales-lover and there is still so much to discover. Best wishes for you!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Fantastic art work! I'd love to visit Hay on Wye, it sounds like a fabulous arty place x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!