Sunday, August 28, 2016

When the World Was Flat

Anybody else remember the Flatsy dolls, circa 1970?

They came up in the comments on a recent post at Bag and a Beret - both Shelley and I mentioned being called Flatsy in our pubescence, a name that was trumpeted on TV commercials at the time thanks to the Flatsy doll and its taunting jingle: Flatsies, flatsies, they're flat and that's that - that's that!

Only a man would give them a name that's sure to torment early adolescent girls. Asshole.

I'm making more of my own flatsies - paper dolls - but I choose to call them Two-Dimensional Divas, avoiding even the shorter '2D' in case that makes anyone think of a bra size, albeit a freakish one.

Here's a Two-Dimensional Diva inspired by one of my fave television characters. Do you recognise her?


It's Elaine Benes from Seinfeld! Her wardrobe is so distinctive and I wanted to have it for myself.


Um, it's not really my size, but at least I can play with it.

This is what I started with - the 'Elaine' template I drew and the possibilities for her signature floral dress.


She really deserves an entire Elaine wardrobe, but I started with the one dress, ankle socks and loafers, blazer with big shoulders, and blue backpack. And of course, her big hair, which I made from lace.





Remember this episode of Seinfeld where Elaine sees a mannequin that looks like her? (This one has Italian subtitles - che strano.)


I hope Elaine wouldn't get upset about my paper doll.

Val



13 comments:

  1. Ha ha! What fun!

    Have you watched her in Veep? She is fantastic!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen Veep yet, but now we have Netflix I need to put it on my list - thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure she'd be very 'flat'tered! Although I've never watched Seinfeld.
    I think Flatsy must be American, I don't remember any dolls of that name but we did have a similar thing in a child's comic titled Bunty.
    Looking forward to more outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - flattered! Good one, Fiona, wish I'd thought of that.

      Delete
  3. I used to love cutting out the paper doll in Bunty comic.
    I love your doll and her gorgeous wardrobe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lace for hair. Genius! I suspect Elaine would be extremely flattered (heh, Fiona). This is an adorable doll! I'd like to see a size 2D bra. Hahaha. I don't know how I missed the Flatsie doll...? I must have been watching the wrong channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. One of my favorite episodes. I couldn't fall asleep one night because I couldn't remember the name of the guy that designed the mannequin. I had to get out of bed and Google it. What did we do before Google? Anyhoo. It's Ricky. "I've never seen a beautiful girl reading The Guide so far away from the television before." Then I could go back to sleep. Have you read "Seinfeldia"? I am so in love with your paper dolls. It will maybe be the first time I've ever been a "flatsy" in my post adolescent life. THANK YOU in advance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read Seinfeldia, but it sounds right up my alley. I'll have to look for it.

      Delete
  6. God yes, I can hear the "Flatsy" jingle in my head now. I did love playing with paper dolls when I was a kid, especially making my own clothes for them. I think Elaine would like your paper doll tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable! You are so clever! I love how you make tiny beautiful things!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOLOLOL...I recognized her right away Val! WELL DONE! I wanted to dress like Elaine back in the Seinfeld days...loved her long curls too!

    Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!