Friday, August 12, 2016

Stress? What stress?

I can't believe how quickly we've settled down in our new home, thousands of miles away from where we lived for ten years. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.


We spent months sorting through and clearing out a home we loved, and saying goodbye to family and old friends. Now that I'm sitting here in Wales, fairly relaxed, I look back and wonder how I got through all that stress.

Here's what helped - I gave up wearing make-up and jewellery, quit cutting my hair, and stopped worrying about what I was wearing. That's why you haven't seen any pictures of me here on the blog for quite some time. It was essential, though, partly to save time and partly because I didn't always know where my things were during the move!

Since I'm a freelancer, I still spend days looking like this.

Still also wearing baggy old shorts, weather permitting

I made some paper dolls to stand in for me on social media - they're better dressed than me!


You can see them on the right sidebar as the buttons linking to my Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest pages. 

Guess which one's my favourite?


I call her Velma.

Which one is your fave?

Val

9 comments:

  1. Ok Val - time to start shopping for some new Walesian clothing. Remember a day without dressing up is a day wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to hear you are 'fairly relaxed' now and feeling settled in Wales. As much as I like to look well groomed, some days I just don't have the time for make-up either and shoot into town looking frightful. Velma looks so cool.
    Yes give the photo challenge a go! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THEM ALL! (As you already know).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of the skirt ones, but that jacket calls too! Love your look, Val - you always look like you! Your hair is great - I'm also attempting to grow out (it's controlled chaos).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the dress on the left but the middle one's shoes are amazing!
    Hello!
    I am so sorry I have not been around recently. I've actually been on a cruise for almost 2 weeks and before I was in France for a week! I do apologise for the lack of blog presence and comments. I do hope you are well!
    Not heading to Wales at the moment, I seem to have been fixed up for most of the h9oliday- the nearest I am coming is to High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire- but we must meet at some point!!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I gave up wearing make-up and jewellery, quit cutting my hair, and stopped worrying about what I was wearing." You've turned into a hippie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful. I love the natural look. And don't let those fashion bullies talk you into wearing one of those hideous English fascinators or whatever they're called and some nice red "lippy." I. Can't. Even.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your natural look as well, especially for days of vigorous graveyard and castle-hopping. I do. And especially when you have dolls to play with. They are SPLENDID!!! Hahaha, such a great idea. They are like body doubles except you don't have to pay them, sweeet. Did you give them little high-pitched voices too? They need to make a video. Heh.

    No, Connie, I want to see Velma and Val in fascinators. Crashing a wedding or a horse race. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - I'm so glad you've inaugurated your craft space! That must help you to feel more at home. An escape place.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!