Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Sight Unseen

I don't consider myself a very brave person. Where physical peril is involved I'm a bit of a wimp. But I have taken some leaps of faith in my life, and so far I'm still standing.

My latest leap of faith (with Mr. S) is buying a house in the UK - sight unseen.




No, that's not it, but ours is No. 4.

It's amazing what you can do on the internet. Mr. S spent a lot of time looking for houses within a certain radius of the town where his children live, and as he kept looking he noticed prices kept going up. We decided we had better get something before we couldn't afford anything. So we bought an ordinary (affordable) house in mid-Wales, sight unseen, in a location we've never been to! We'll be living in a tiny hamlet, just down the road from a small village, which is just down the road from a small town, which is just down the road from the English border.




No, that's not our house, either. I don't want to give the exact location because of the paparazzi and all that, you know.

Using the magic of the internet, we've driven down our road on Google Street View, we've "visited" the local pub (dating from 1310) and even met our neighbor! He's a painter/handyman and has his business listed at his address. That shows up on Google maps, so Mr. S gave him a call and talked to him before we bought the house. The neighbor (I'll start using British spelling once we've moved) had already been cutting the grass and looking after the house while it was empty, so after we bought it we made arrangements for him to continue. He's been so helpful, checking the mail for us and doing a few repairs. Since the house is sitting empty for several months, this has been an even greater asset than having two bathrooms!

Just down the road is Lake Vyrnwy (pronounced 'vern-wee), which you can see here in The Telegraph's article of Britain's Best Lakes. I tried to download some copyright-free photos, but my computer said no, so I hope you'll follow the link and see how stunning the lake is. More photos and history here from a local B&B.

It'll be so fun exploring the area. I'm already following some local businesses on Facebook, so I know what soup the nearest deli is making and what's on at the winery. Yes, an English winery!



Nope, that's not the place either. These photos were taken by me in 2012, and as I said, I've never been to my new home before!

Val

12 comments:

  1. OH Val! I'm so excited for you! That is brave...buying a house that you haven't actually seen. But, the excitement of it all....I mean...a tiny hamlet, outside of a village in mid Wales! Sounds like bliss to me and I can't wait to be following along about your life in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting, and so scary at the same time! It sounds divine! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! What an adventure. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to buy a house online unseen in real life.

    I'm sure this is just the beginning of Val's great adventure : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. wouuu, that's exciting! for sure you're going to have lots of fun exploring your neighborhood by yourself, that's one of the best things about moving to a new place!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an impressive leap of faith to buy a home sight unseen but I think it's a good sign that you've got a handy man living next door who has been keeping an eye on the place. What an adventure this is for you and your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy you two are brave! I am curious why you didn't just rent - you must be in for the long haul.
    I look forward to your stories of the UK. You will, of course, be hosting the next blogger meetup UK-style, right? *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's what I call brave Val. How nice that the bloke next door has been keeping an eye on your new gaff. Hope you're going to give us a tour when you get there. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inspirational!! Go go, woman, and throw yourself into this adventure. And I'm sure the house is oozing charm, awaiting you. xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do they spell neighbor in Wales? Neybyr?? I am so excited for you. It looks so pretty there. I got so caught up in the beauty that I almost booked a room at the Local B and B. I can't wait to hear all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it turns out to be all you wish for, Val, and more.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy smokes! You ARE brave!! I'm late but I'm super anxious to follow how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!