Sunday, March 27, 2016

I've been this way ten years to the day

I've been meaning to write this post for a loooooooooooong time. I saw this exercise on Fur Earwig a few years ago and found it really interesting. And it's safe to try it at home, so you can do it, too!

You might want to write this down. Take stock of where you were ten years ago, what you were doing, what your life was like. After that, do the same for five years ago and one year ago. Next, think about where you'll be one year in the future, five years, and ten years.


Ten years ago

Me, I had just moved back to the USA after living in England for ten years. I was losing the slight accent I had acquired - you know, actually pronouncing the "t" in "water" and "fifty." I had a new job and a new-to-me house, but I didn't have a digital camera until that autumn so here's a picture I took at Christmastime 2006.


December 2006

This was in the first house we had here. I came down the stairs to see Mr. S playing his keyboards, Christmas lights glowing on the mantle and a fire in the hearth. I was back in America, cozy and content in an American house that was big enough to swing a cat! I could happily drive to American family and friends along straight roads using the familiar four points of the Pacific Northwest compass - Canada, Cascade Mountains, California and Pacific Ocean.


Five years ago

We had just moved to a new house, around the corner from our old one. We picked the lot, we picked the house plan, and we picked the exterior colors. Here I am swinging a cat before we moved in.


January 2011

I've only lived in one house longer than this one, and I was a small child then! I love this house and I love the neighborhood. So, as we're cleaning and packing and getting ready to move away, there are days when I just want to dig my heels in and find a way to stay here. We could if we really, really wanted to. But life moves on and it's time to ramble on.


One year ago

I took time off from my temp job last year at this time, and Mr. S and I went out on a treasure hunt! Yes, indeed - that was number three of seven total that Mr. S has been on, and my second one. Stunning country, rugged terrain for our invincible Subaru, but no treasure was found.


March 2015


We hadn't made a definite decision to move yet, but it was on our minds even then.


One year from now

We will be settled in Wales and furnishing our house with charity shop finds. I might have a cat, but won't have room to swing it indoors. There will be daffodils EVERYWHERE, and we'll go to heritage properties as they reopen after the winter, if only for the tea rooms. I'll have a smartphone with GPS so I can find my way around all the wiggly windy roads, and I will still suck in my breath as cars fly past me with centimeters to spare.


Five and ten years from now (OMG - that's 2021 and 2026!)

When I did this exercise before, I predicted who would be dead in five and ten years. Cheerful, huh? I'll try to be more upbeat this time.

Generally, I hope that in five and ten years I'm mostly doing creative things and not worrying about money (I can dream). I'll be involved in a historic society or craft cooperative - or both. I'll despair of the busy British roads and cramped shops, but will enjoy the old pubs and large glasses of Australian wine! Occasionally we'll go to hear music in a cathedral or see a play on the lawn of a stately home or go to the London museums. We'll bundle up for warmth - in July. We'll watch our granddaughters become young women and we'll worry about the world they'll live in.

But that's all in the future. For now, Happy Easter, Happy Spring!

Val


12 comments:

  1. I love this exercise! I'm going to give it a go!
    My Mr S had a gig up in Bend this Saturday. Sort of your neck of the woods (for how much longer?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We came through Bend last week. Too bad it wasn't this week - the Mr. Ss could have met up! Looks like we'll be in this neck of the woods until June.

      Delete
  2. What a great post!

    That swinging cat thing is hilarious. Of course I'd need to swing a pug...although I don't think she'd care for that one bit.

    Too funny how you said you'd be dead. Morbid much? I'd probably have written the same thing. I used to think I wouldn't live to see 30. I was young and stupid. Now I'm older and closer to the grave and not looking forward to dying quite as much as I was when I was young.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, what?! I didn't say I'd be dead! I was thinking of friends and relatives, but who knows? There have already been some sad surprises.

      Delete
    2. mwahaha, I'm a little bit late, but I need to say 'me too!'; I was an all-dressed-in-black teenager, always thinking I wouldn't live to see 30, yes, and now I don't care about this kind of things! So much better!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this. I don't imagine I will post about it...it won't surprise me if I discover I'm exactly in the same spot I was 10 years ago, but a girl can dream. And I think it will do me a world of good to do the 5 and 10 years in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should try this but I'm not sure I'd remember!!!! Your life is certainly going to change!!! Your American houses are amazing-sized! Everything is tiny where I live, especially new houses!! Still looking forward to meeting you!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab exercise and what fab times you'll have!
    All the best of British! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I have to remember where I was five years ago or ten years ago or can I just make it up? I would like to make up my future as well. I don't have an animal to swing around my room. I could swing a dead moth maybe or a silverfish, in which case my room would seem huuuge!
    I loved the picture you've selected here. And now such an adventure you are embarking on and a time for reinvention. You'll have TONS of friends and creative types to hang out with and go "chazzing" with. And Kezzie is there!
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting exercise, but like Mel, I don't know if I can actually remember where I was 10 years ago (I was pretty much in exactly the same place five years ago as I am now, except for the addition of some wonderful blogging friends to my life). Moving to a different county is definitely an excuse for re-imagining your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting exercise, as I'm also involved in moving too, and it's traumatic sometimes (five years ago I moved from the south of the country, 1000 kms, and I didn't feel it as a traumatic experience, but now everything is different!)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful post! Mine wouldnt be as varied as I've lived in the same house for the past 27 years and hope to remain there for as long as possible. Well done that you can remember it all.
    Anna x
    www.annasislandstyle

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!