Sunday, November 22, 2015

All the Languages I Know

Sounds like I'm a polylinguist, huh? I'm not really, but I do enjoy learning about languages and words, and I like having more than one version of English at my disposal.
 



Although our move back to Great Britain is months away, I'm already immersing myself in all things British. I've been watching "The Great British Baking Show" (called "The Great British Bake Off" in Britain, and two seasons ahead of us in the US) and I can't miss a single episode. It's lovely, and they do bake some absolutely scrummy treats!


Source - PBS


Speaking of lovely, I've been following a British florist on Instagram, Swallows and Damsons. Check out their website, it's simply stunning.


Source - Swallows and Damsons

 Swoon, n'est-ce pas?

From the sublime to the ridiculous, we're also watching the original British "The Office" on DVD, which is so much more raw and cringe-making than the American version (I love it, especially Gareth!).




Thanks to a link Patti posted on Facebook to a British newspaper article, I've been able to brush up on my Danish. (Joking - my dad's parents spoke Danish at home in Nebraska, but I only know a few words.) And now everyone is learning about hygge, that esoteric state of happiness in comfort. I must reclaim my Danish roots!





Saturday morning hygge


I would like to learn Danish, although it isn't the prettiest of languages. The word for "beautiful" is smuk, after all.




If only I had a chance to use Italian or French, the languages of art and food and love, but my recall of those mellifluous tongues is fast disappearing. And I'll let you in on a little secret - the next language I'm going to learn is Welsh. Ni fydd yn cael hwyl?

Val

11 comments:

  1. Hi Val, I live in the UK and love you choices of viewing to get you ready for your move. We're all crazy for thr Great British Bake Off here, so that's a brilliant choice and my daughter (26) is mad about The Office. Will drop by again soon.
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bore Dah!
    Ha, love the fact you are getting into British stuff!!Yay, Val is coming hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the Great British Baking Show! I love Mel and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will love it in the U.K. I'm sure. And then it will be just a short flight to Denmark, too, so you can get serious about this reclaiming your Nordic roots thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh...Welsh...the long forgotten language of love and romance. Pa ffordd i'r toiled ?

    I've heard so much about that baking show. I must see what all the fuss is about.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It says volumes about me that my eyes were drawn to slag and smut in your Danish dictionary!.
    I've heard about hygge on one of our UK interiors shows, you'll be able to watch that soon too!
    Yaki da.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm learning Welsh already - bore da, yaki da, and Suzanne's useful phrase too! Thanks! I can now ask where the toilet is in five languages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've inherited my love of words and word games from my mother as well as all her English dictionaries! I'm sure you're looking forward to your move so all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love language and words too (french major in college) and the word hygge is my new favorite. love your word-nerd collection! xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey fellow word nerd. The Great British Bake Off. I'm obsessed. I got my husband to watch and I think he had a bit of a crush on Ruby. I had to break it to him that she's gay. I have a bit of a crush on Mary Berry. Just so you know - starting Nov. 30 CBS will be showing the Great British Holiday Baking Show. I actually started to learn Yiddish words when I married into a Jewish family. That is one meshugenah language. I think Danish sounds like tons of fun. I hope that when you take your smut to your new home that you won't smuldre and everything will be all smuk and hygge.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!