Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Flashing hot harridans

In response to one of the best posts from Melanie (hell, they're all good posts from Melanie), I really wanted to join/spread/viralize a new meme she kind of started - Hot Harridans Reading. I love reading, and as I'm typing this I'm feeling a hot flash coming on, so excuse me while I take off my cardigan.

Whew, better.

Here's a picture of me (just turned the fan on, too) reading. So, hot harridan reading, with polka-dot leggings.



The photo is staged because I haven't actually started reading this book - have you read it? Is it good? It's the next book for my book group.

These are the women in my book group. 


I haven't asked if I could put them on my blog, so I'm disguising their faces. They're all funny and vibrant and smart, and I really enjoy our get-togethers.

In actuality, I'm just finishing a book on my Kindle, which isn't as photogenic as a real book. I'm reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, which is really good - I wanted to sit up late last night to finish it and find out what the hell happened to Megan, but I needed to get some sleep. Next on my list, after The Tennis Player, I'd like to read the book Melanie is reading in her photo (and she is way more hot than me, except when I'm having a flash) - All Is Vanity by Christina Schwarz.

And if I may be so bold, let me recommend some of my favorite books I've read in the last year - if you want chick-lit type Australian comedy, there's The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. For a supernatural/psychological British ghost story, try The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. If you want an American legal thriller, there's Defending Jacob by William Landay (evidently they're making a movie of this). And for a funny, feel-good story I highly recommend The Revised Fundamentals of Care-giving by Jonathan Evison.

What are you reading?

Val

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, Val, you are really, really hot! I'm glad you had clothing to shed. I can tell by the wine and the silly grins on everyone's faces how much fun your book club is! I would join if I lived closer. Definitely. Thanks so much for your recommendations. I have only a handful of real paper books with such limited space. Rather than swapping them out I read the same ones over and over and over and over... Time for a change. Thanks for joining, Hot Harridan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is very interesting how everyone in your book club looks alike. Is it a requirement? I would be out. Too much bitch face. I love your polka dotty knees and I'm going to add your books to my endless list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea - Hot Harridans Reading. I am hot about 10% of the time, so I'm in. I'm in the middle of the Child 44 trilogy - murder mysteries in Stalinist Russia, and almost can't put them down. xox

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!