Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Dusty Roads



For the last few years, the bright and tenacious Mr. S has been trying to decipher a poem that leads to a treasure. I've written about this before, when he and I went on a trip to West Yellowstone and then hiked up in the hills (grizzly country!) to the spot he thought might hold the treasure. We didn't find it.

Since that time, Mr. S has been out on five, count 'em, five expeditions, using different interpretations of the poem, but to no avail. He's encountered ticks, a rattlesnake and loose rocks that gave way beneath his feet. So I decided I'd better go along this time and carry the first aid kit.


It was a fun trip! Our first stop was Dubois, Wyoming.




From this small  town, we drove up the back roads to Table Mountain. Here's a tip about Wyoming - if you look at a map and a dotted line has a name that ends in "Road," don't believe it. Dotted lines are tracks, better suited to horses or goats. Our Subaru, however, soldiered on over rocks and ruts and wash-outs.


There were tipi circles along the ridge - this was the campfire circle

After looking around the top of the plateau and finding no treasure, we went through all sorts of rough terrain taking a different route out, the "road" getting more and more precarious as we went. Then we finally reached our worst nightmare - a locked gate. Unwilling to go back over hill and dale, Mr. S climbed the fence and headed on to see if he could find the person who might have a key. Soon he came back with Les, a really nice guy who let us through the gate, and then showed us the sheepwagon he made. It looks like a gypsy varda with a metal exterior, and inside he had a nice big bed, an iron stove, a pull-out table, and built-in benches and shelves. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures - I was just living in the moment.


The Tetons through the windshield



We continued looking for X to mark the spot, but instead of loot we just found beautiful country and really stunning scenery, antelope bounding across the prairie, and petroglyphs. The treasure eluded us.



We were on the doorstep of Yellowstone National Park, so of course we had to go. That's right, Boo-Boo, we got us some picka-nicka baskets. (How many of you remember Yogi Bear?) The park is huge! We saw lots of bison, and one giant elk that crossed the road before I could get my camera out. The ravens didn't mind posing, though.





Old Faithful performed right on cue.

I've been following Arts and Crafts Living on Facebook, who has been posting pictures of their trip to Yellowstone and the amazing lodges, so I wanted to see Old Faithful Inn. It's the largest log structure in the world, and it's amazing!

This is a second-story viewing deck

Interior of Old Faithful Inn with crow's nest




Here's the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - it finally clicked for me why it's called Yellow-stone! Duh!


And then home in a car coated inside and out with Wyoming dust, richer in experience if not in fortune!

Val

8 comments:

  1. Of course. Jellystone Park!!! I hope you were wearing your bear bells. Such beautiful photos. You really captured it. Don't you kind of wish you could photograph the smells? I grew up in the wilds of Montana. My grandparents lived just north of Yellowstone. When we weren't camping we would stay at the Old Faithful Inn just about every summer. I remember you had to share a bathroom which I thought was quite scandalous. Okey doke. Now I expect to see some gypsy/sheep caravan tins from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Val! What fantastic photos! And the Old Faithful Inn is over the top amazing. I wanna go there and see it!

    So...I was sure this would be the post. The one where Mr. Sparkle had found the treasure! But alas, not quite yet! He's got to find it before you move to England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogi!!! Of course I remember him! SUCH an interesting place and amazing photos. AHA, so Old Faithful is a geyser then!? I always wondered! Those horns are quite prolific! The stone really IS yellow isn'titx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that looks amazing! Duh, who doesn't remember Yogi Bear and his pick-a-nick baskets??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smarter than yer av-er-age bear, yes.
    Wyoming, the name conjures up all kinds of Western movie images for me. The area seems to have a weird and wonderful spell over it. Your photos are alive with what I'm talking about. Am I nuts? (Don't answer that.) What a great trip!! The treasure will wait till next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I remember Yogi and Boo Boo : )

    What an interesting way to have an adventure...all about a poem and treasure. Quite romantic really.

    Love the photos.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. But do you remember Smokey the bear? lol
    Love the lodge photos. Someday I'll go there too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you found the treasure yet!??! And SHOW THE BROOCHES!!!x

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!