Friday, January 16, 2015

Oh, no - not another Altoid tin!

If you're coming here looking for pretty pictures of me in my fantastic clothes and gorgeous home, with inspirational quotes and tips for removing warts, I've given you fair warning. This post is about an Altoid-type tin that I crafted for a custom order for Christmas.

The order was for a little diorama for my customer's mother-in-law, who is housebound. I was given some ideas about the MIL's life and likes, and I went from there. This is what I came up with.




The customer said her MIL likes East Asian art and architecture, so she asked for a temple door and roof tiles.

The interior continues the theme, and includes a passport and map to reflect MIL's travels, the books she likes to read, and the coffee she likes to drink.




The otters in the photo have special significance, too, but the little felt slippers were a last-minute thing I added because the floor needed something. Squee!

I didn't glue down the itsy books, and one of them is a picture book with tiny photos from my own travels.




And one more -

I'm still working on my little Parisian café, mentioned in my last post. It's an even smaller scale, so it's challenging to fit in a tiny café bar, as well as an upstairs bedroom. I think this one's going to take some time! Here are some more in-progress photos.


You know I'm making this because I want to live in a little place like this on the Left Bank.


I should have called it Café Tout Wacky because the scale and perspective are going to be totally wack. I made a stack of espresso cups that are tiny, but too big for this place. Maybe I should add a bottle of absinthe to accentuate the twisting of reality!

À bientôt!

Val

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's thoroughly disgusting how talented and creative you are! I wish I had all the money in the world and we were living in 15th century Italy and I can be your patrono and just fund then own a collection of Val originals. (She says as she looks fondly and proudly at her TARDIS tin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative, and crafty, that takes some skill and patience, not to mention unique artistic vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Cute my brain is melting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are seriously talented!!! These are truly wondrous articles!!! SUCH beautiful details-I love them!!!
    And Maricel has the TARDIS one???? Such a good idea!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I thought I loved Altoids but I love Val's Altoid tins even more!!!! I can't even look at an Altoid tin without thinking of you. You are crazy..... Talented!!!! BTW. I have a wart on my baby toe. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so mad-skilled, Val. I want to go to that tiny, tiny cafe - shrink me! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg the tiny books with travel picks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just magical! I hope the recipient of the East Asian themed one recognizes the amount of work that went into its creation. If I owned a little boutique full of marvelous, beautiful things I would want to sell your Altoid tin dioramas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great personalized gift idea! The little picture books are amazing. I'm so glad to see you keeping your creativity going. Though I am happy to not be making word art any longer, or having to renew Etsy items over and over, I haven't yet come up with a new creative passion. I have a wood burning kit and would love to explore designing on ghords or small boxes.

    Now where did you say the wart removal tips are here??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I just love these miniatures! They are so detailed and beautiful. You're very talented, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these! I'm especially loving the wee little books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful, so intricate and detailed, I love them - I'll have a coffee in the Left Bank cafe any day, no absinthe though, it scares me x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE your tins and this one is esp awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Val your tins are so awesome I always want each one I see. I will definitely join you and Sandra at the Left Bank cafe. I'll start with coffee and then move on to the absinthe. The tin you have done for your customer's MIL is delightful and I do love those slippers! The wee books are amazing. I love miniatures and always have. I have both longed for one of those really detailed doll houses and a model train set with landscaping so I could play with the designs of it. Have you been to Miniature World in Victoria? I am not sure if it is even still there as it is so long since I've been to it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!