Sunday, January 11, 2015

Je suis Charlie, Je suis Ahmed

Aujourd'hui, je suis Parisienne. Je suis d'accord avec le peuple de Paris, in solidarité contre la violence, la haine et l'intolérance.

Today, I am Parisian. I stand with the people of Paris, in solidarity against violence, hatred and intolerance.


I wish I could write my whole post in French, but my language skills are too-long dormant for a serious post. (I used freetranslation.com to help me here.) To join with the people of Paris, and indeed, reasonable people everywhere, I'm wearing scarf that a friend of mine brought me from Paris several years ago.

scarf from Paris - Pantone color 2013 - Emerald

It's impossible to make sense of what happened in Paris - violence, fear and chaos were the aims of the extremists, so there is no sense. To a generation that grew up in a golden age of progress and enlightenment, this kind of barbarism seems to signal the end of the world. I can't even begin to analyze the various implications of these attacks - and others - to freedom, religion, racism, society, nationalism, multiculturalism, women...


current work-in-progress - a Parisian cafe

Then the stories of the unity of people in Paris, and world leaders setting aside their differences, give me some hope that tolerance will override intolerance and divisiveness.

Source

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Linking up and spreading the love at SpyGirl: 52 Pick-me-up, and Not Dead Yet Style: Visible Monday.

Val

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful scarf. I always cling to the stories of helping and heroism that surface to help make sense of it all. Like the Muslim clerk in the Kosher grocery store who helped hide 15 customers from the terrorist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the message. And for the reminder that there is hope. There is always hope when good people exist to make others see reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely there is hope and tolerance in your petit cafe.
    I do not understand the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful message and photos, Val. Remember that we also grew up in the age of Vietnam, and racial discrimination. And many bright lights shone through those dark times. The light has a good chance of winning through again. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand with you Val. paint brush raised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Val....right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That whole incident makes me just sick to think about. Will it ever stop?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so important to take a stand against violence, and not give in to intolerance. Freedom of speech is after all something we have taken for granted here in the west all our lives, and we owe it to future generations to protect it.But fear has gripped all of Europe once more, and even though I live in one of the "safest" places on earth, I can't help but think that it is just a matter of time when there is no place that is safe....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am, perhaps a cockeyed optimist, a Pollyanna at heart, but despite the shock and horror of such events, I continue to believe that most people in this world are good people and find it helpful to focus on that. I also believe that life is really a collection of sufferings, which is my Buddhist bent, but that we have the ability within us to rise above those sufferings. And finally, I believe that there is nothing like a Paris Cafe in miniature. I am ready to order my croissant and cafe au lait.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right threre with you Val, it was a terrible thing that happened in Paris and to think i was there not too long ago -

    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Well written and true. Love will win through. It is the only way. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is so much negativity in the news surrounding Isis, etc..it's a very scary thing for sure. I felt true sadness over the loss of those brilliant journalists. The world really needs the humor and intelligence of political cartoonists.
    Good to see you Val! Love that little Parisian Cafe work. I'm not doing a thing for creativity right now but the ideas are brewing.

    The place I'm working is called Benaroya Research Institute. They study auto-immune diseases but I'm working in Administration. Interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this post Val. After events like those in Paris, it's hard not to think that the world is going to hell in a hand basket. I would like to believe that most people are good, and that the kind of people who would murder 12 journalists in cold blood are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent ... I'm so touched by the fierceness of the art-making community in solidarity. I dropped at note to Paperesse (Shani Thomas) as she's over there ... she wrote of the enormity of the demonstrations. Millions in the streets. Some of the big-media illustrations have been heartbreaking. Good on you. We share in your shock and dismay.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!