Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Smells Like Crone Spirit

It's Grunge week at Spy Girl' 52 Pick-me-up.

I lived in Seattle from 1987 to 1995, the grunge capital during the grunge era. The days before Tiffany's came to town, and when I could still rent an apartment for $500 a month (honest - and it had a view, too). So I had to get in on Grunge week.


Faded jeans, boots, plaid men's shirt over an undershirt, garage bands. And I look just like I did in 1990.

 Oh denial, oh denial, oh denial, oh denial, oh denial.


It's also Third Thursday (T3) at My Closet Catalogue and A Bibliophile's Style, and the prompt this month is to let your outfit be inspired by your best or worst high school read. I can't even remember what I read in high school (it was HIGH school, man). Seriously. I remember reading Herman Hesse books, and Carlos Casteneda, and some science fiction, but I'm not sure how many of those were read for school. I do remember wearing clothes that were pretty much the same as the grunge outfit. Paleo-grunge. So I'm just dressing like high school, not like a book.

Hey, far out! I get to hit two link-ups with one outfit! I love it when that happens.

Sunday update - third link-up at Visible Monday!

Peace.

Val

19 comments:

  1. Ha, brilliantly done!!!! You are the epitome of Dawson's creek chic! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this pretty much what we all wear at home? If we're being honest, and not pretending we make an effort to match the outfit and brush the hair when there's nobody to see it.... I bet even Dita von Teese does grunge when there are no paprazzi around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirit of grunge lives on, Val! Never liked it myself... And still don't have either jeans or a check shirt to my name! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for the Grunge Crone approach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mwahahahaha! You ARE high school! I love this look - it's authentic and totally screams "cool"! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Back in 79 during the punk era I had a studio apartment right on Capital Hill for 190.00 per month. It would probably be 1,200.00 now. Those were the days!
    You know what? In 1992 I dated a cousin to Chris Novaselic, Nirvana's bass player. He was also a bass player and actually a much better one too. I was that close to fame! haha
    Looks like you're helping your husband with some equipment here? Have you gone to the roadie side??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capital Hill was the center of my universe! This apartment was on 13th between Harrison and Republican. Where was yours?

      Delete
  7. You are so kool! And wow, a $500 apartment with a view -- memories. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, too. xox

      Delete
  8. Ha! Crone Spirit! Brilliant. Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha Val!! Truth be told I still dress like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right, we are twinsies today! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful :) I think grunge is my forever favorite really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so flaming cool (I would have preferred the naughty 4 letter F word, I can't, it would sully things!) ps your comment on my post made me howl laughing! you are a legend x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the title of this post! I had a few moments of grunge in my twenties when I would wear a pair of army shorts over a pair of long underwear and army boots in the winter, but that was before "Grunge" was officially a style. I'm really digging the longer hair on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're my special little grunge princess. Let's go to prom together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude.
    Of course you look just like high school. Ahem. But still adorable.
    Hesse! Did you like the Glass Bead Game? Never got to Castenada, but it's too late now. I've given up reading edifying books unless it's very special. I don't have that much time left to get to all the junk I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Far out man! I missed grunge because I was a young mother though I sort of looked like that if I went camping. I think I lived in empire waist denim dresses still looking vaguely pregnant for the last half of the nineties. You look very cute in your sitting down poses, a bit scary in your first one. Is that resting grunge face? I have one of those too. LOVE the title of your post. Your parcel arrived today-Very exciting.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!