Saturday, August 23, 2014

It's not you, it's me

You may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. I just don't feel like I have much to say right now, and selfies would be laughable since I wear shorts and T-shirts every day. Add the bike helmet and a sweaty head, and my hair doesn't look like much, either. Sometimes I force myself to wear make-up and earrings, but mostly I look like a kid on summer vacation!

So I'm going to make it official and "take a break from blogging" although I may be checking in and commenting a bit. I get tired of the techno-life sometimes - don't you?

Before I go, let me get these pictures out there and tell you what I've been doing.

Best thing - I've got a cool freelance gig, copy editing and proofreading an academic book on aesthetics and creative spaces in Asian cities. It's exactly the kind of work I like to do, although the theoretical jargon can be a little challenging. Anyway, it'll keep me busy for a couple of weeks, and I've got more potential work in the pipeline. So, whew, I'm earning money!

We've been having a hot summer here - sunny every day for the foreseeable future, so there'll be no change from the shorts and T-shirt and bike helmet!

Last week we went to see a printmaking demonstration - in a parking lot.


Plywood was used for the printing "plates"...


 ...and the prints were made on sheets.


The "press" was a steam-roller!



Voila!

It was very cool, except it was very hot. They did a lot of these prints that day - this one was done for one of the sponsors.

A couple of weeks ago we went on a hike in the hills not too far from here. It's quite a climb to a gorgeous spot with amazing views!







Mt. Jefferson, I think
the Three Sisters peaks are just barely visible in the background


So, that's all for now. I'll see you anon!

Val

10 comments:

  1. Val, totally understandable but your humor will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No!!! But come back soon!!! Pretty cool print workshop though!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be missed! I always get a happy moment reading your blog; you communicate yourself to us so well. Enjoy your path. And of course, it's so normal to get weary of techno-world. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving that steam roller, what a great idea!
    The views from your hike are breathtaking.
    Hope the work is enjoyable, and that your break from blogging proves refreshing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, we'll miss you, but yes, take a break. Love these pictures - that printing demo is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog presence will be missed, but I understand the urge to abandon the "online life" - have felt it myself many times. Congratulations on finding some work you enjoy, and I hope it continues. That printing press demonstration is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss your snarky comments and wicked sense of humour.

    That printing press with the steam roller was so cool!

    Have a lovely blog vacation.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. That print making on the sheets is very cool! Great pics :) I say, just blog when you want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! I will miss you, Val, but understand the need for a break. Happy that you have a gig that you enjoy. Hope to see you back when you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun on your break, and in the meantime find a way to steal that print of the chairs for me!! I NEED IT!!

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!