Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Heroes and Villains

SpyGirl's 52 Pick-me-up this week is Fairy Tale. It ties in perfectly with Maricel and Selah's T3 prompt to dress like your favorite literary villain. So I'm wearing black and white to represent good and evil, and I'll tell you my own fairy tale that transpired this week.


Once upon a time there were a boy and girl who went to visit a little cottage in the country. They walked up to the porch, which was piled with old boxes and plant pots, and they pulled the clapper on the brass bell hanging by the door. A little troll opened the heavy wooden door and led them inside, then down into the cellar. The room there was piled high with books and boxes and shelves and tools. It smelled horrible, and there were cobwebs covering the windows as thick as curtains. The troll asked them what they wanted, and when they told him he said he could grant their wish for eighty pieces of gold. They left their computer with him and went away.

The troll is the hero in this story. He loaded Windows 7 onto my computer so I can work on my new client's cloud server.


The thing is, heroes look like ordinary people. (Although computer nerds who work out of their own homes are generally a little, shall we say extraordinary. I wasn't kidding about the smell and the cobwebs.)

My own knight in shining armor had already spent hours trying to install Windows 7 and then reloading all my other programs. As day turned to night, we found out that the copy of Windows 7 he had bought from eBay was counterfeit, sold to us by an evil villainess in North Miami Beach!


I imagine her with a bald head, bad skin and snaggly teeth (the bitch!), but she could just as easily look like a cheerleader or a soccer mom. Because villains can look like ordinary people, too, like Bob Ewell in To Kill a Mockingbird or Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca or Tom Ripley in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Villains suck.


If you want to know the ending of my story, the evil bitch, I mean the seller, responded after about 36 hours with a poorly typed message saying she's sorry for our "bad experience" and she'll refund the money in a few days. Doesn't matter what she does now, we've reported her to eBay and Microsoft. They can throw her in a dungeon for all I care.

Because good always triumphs over evil.


Val

21 comments:

  1. Excellent crusade against Evil, Val! I knew you would triumph in the end, well, I hoped so anyway. And now you'll be working in clouds like all good heroines. Perfect outfit for battling the forces of evil, black and white, keeping the world in check. Your photos are priceless. Hahaha! There are no computers in the dungeon either.
    Did you see Malkovich in Ripley's Game? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your expressions, Val! How terribly EEEEvil of that woman to sell you a faux copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mess indeed! Glad you've surfaced and the cobwebs are cleared. Yay for trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating story! Love the description of the trolls house :-) but he has skillz!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Brilliant! Good always triumphs! And I can't wait for you to link up when we go live later on today. Thanks for the shout out and for the wonderful story. Now off to bed I go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Val, check your Other inbox i sended in your facebook,

    ReplyDelete
  7. The triumph over evil - the best story in all of literature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Villains suck!!! And you are fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like computer troubles!! Glad you were victorious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wonderful storyteller! And the black and white top is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The terrors and evils of trying to buy online and computer freaks. And I say freaks in the kindest sense. I'm so glad you're all sorted out now. We need crusaders like you keeping us all safe.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look wonderful in black and white, and I am hopeful for a happy ending to your story! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! I love it! Thanks for linking up so faithfully and always doing something creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness I will never ever be an evil bitch because you might give me that look and scare the beejeebuses out of me! However, you do look fantastic in your black and white outfit and I love the top! Also, I'm glad you found a hero troll and didn't have to part with too much gold or promise anyone's firstborn child. I think that's only for gold spinning trolls.

    Loved your story!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. My most favourite endings ever! the triumph of the hero, well done Val for defeating the faux software meanie x x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Val, I would suggest using the culinary blend of lavender because I think it's cleaner. My lavender plants grow right out front of our fence and I think every neighborhood dog pees on them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look great! How horrid that you got something you didn't pay for!x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah well we have to be carefull lots of villains outhere! Did you get a version that works?
    Computers are a great source of stress i kid you not, when it works it's great but when shit hits the fan it's the end of the world!

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great!
    The story is, as always, too funny. Glad it had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bluehost is ultimately one of the best hosting company with plans for all of your hosting requirments.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!