Saturday, May 31, 2014

May Scavenger Hunt

Time for another Scavenger Hunt hosted by Greenthumb at Made With Love. If you like to cook, she posts lots of recipes, or just go check out some of the other Scavenger Hunters!

Okay, this month we have:

L IS FOR
Labyrinth


This particular labyrinth is outside a Lutheran church in a small town near here.


And there's a Long story that goes with it, but I'll save that for the end.

7PM
Going to see a film at the art museum on campus at the University of Oregon.




LEFT
The western coast of the United States is sometimes referred to as the Left Coast. I love that! It has a hint of Parisian glamor (Left Bank), it's accurate as far as map-reading, and it sums up the way the West Coast usually swings politically.



GADGET
This is made for measuring hems, but I find it a handy gauge for just about anything.



PUZZLE
We got there in the end!



LETTER
Taken from a previous post (some might call that cheating - I call it efficiency) about the Griffin and Sabine books.




REFLECTION
This photo was also used in another post, but then I noticed the reflection in the old, wavy glass and I decided to use this again. My efficiency knows no bounds!



FRESH
I wish you could have smelled this!



TINY



HIDDEN



DEMOLITION (passive)



ANTIQUE
This little plaster statuette was in my grandfather Valdemar's home when he was a child. I'm not an angelic type of person, but I like her flaws and her broken wing and her history.



Now about that long story -

That Lutheran church is about 13 miles from where I live now. When I was little I lived right next door.




My dad was the pastor there. (And I grew up to be un-angelic - the shoemaker's kids go barefoot.) We moved away when I was eight years old, then moved twice more before I was out on my own. And then we all moved again for good measure. Eventually my sister ended up back in this vicinity, then my parents moved back, then I moved back - my brother's the only holdout. So when my dad died he was buried at a cemetery in the country outside this small town.

As we were coming back from the cemetery that day, my family stopped here at our old home and we walked the labyrinth.

We entered one at a time, and we went at our own paces. There's only one way in and one way out, and there are sharp curves and gentle curves. We would occasionally meet each other as we passed on different parts of the circuit, or we would walk side by side for a moment before one of us would turn. We were all moving on the same path, but in different places and different times. Sometimes together, sometimes far away, but coming back together at the end. Just like life.

Val

Update - linking up with Creative Mondays.


24 comments:

  1. Oh Val, I love your labyrinth story and your efficiency with photographs! I also love the idea of your being the naughty daughter of the local pastor. I think I am rather happy to report that although I am the teacher's daughter I did not go uneducated.
    I am really intrigued with this scavenger hunt concept and attempted to participate, I didn't get everything on the list but did get most of it. Then I nearly forgot about it and then last night had a bit of a disaster with my photo files and nearly lost most of my photos. Important photos were saved but I lost many of my scavenger hunt photos. I'll try again next month.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 'left' and 'reflection' images but the best part of this post is your story of walking the labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like we had the same ideas about Puzzle and Tiny! Love your Reflections shot and the way the sunlight illuminates on the brickwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That labyrinth story may just make an appearance in a story of my own, if I may have permission to borrow from it liberally? And if I ever do publish it and make a modest sum, I'll fly to Oregon and take you out to brunch for it. :D

    I'll be joining you and Greenthumb for scavenger hunts in June and July. I can't wait to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't imagine I'm the only one who has made that analogy with a labyrinth, but I'll hold you to that brunch if you use the story!

      Delete
  5. Loved how you wended your way to and through your labyrinth story! Recognizing your own ingenuity and efficiency is another great attribute ;) Thanks for linking to the Griffin book ~ right up my alley so I must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photographs :) My favourite is 'Left' - what a beach! And I loved the Labyrinth story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story, Val! I've never walked a labyrinth, but I know I would really like it! That beach is beautiful, and I can smell that gorgeous basil in my imagination! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very touching story, Val. Great photos, both wavy and hidden windows are wonderful, as is the beach, and I can practically smell that basil! Your little angel is beautiful - angels with flaws and history, aren't we all?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your labyrinth story and your photos are great too. Favourites are the lovely beach, the basil and the rusty old car. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Val! I've always thought Eugene was a nice town, and I can see how your family would gravitate back home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos. What a fun project. Pastor's daughter. Aha. I should have known. We lived down the street from the Reverend Gilliam and his kids were WILD. They were always peeling out on a motorcycle, coming home in the wee hours of the morning, looking like Marilyn Monroe. Just like you!!! I'm right, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking part in this months scavenger hunt, you have a great group of photos. I really like left, reflection, antique. What a great story. Greenthumb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love L for labyrinth and beautiful photo for left. Lovely story about the church :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband used to live in your parts of the world, I'll show him your photos. I really love the wobbly reflection in your recycled window photo. I like efficiency very much! I am completely useless when it comes to crossword puzzles. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely collection of photos, L for labyrinth is good and I too love the story about the church. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story about the church and Labyrinth. A nice set of photos, the basil looks so fresh and the beach photo is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, what a profound reflection!!! The wavy window was lovely and I could smell the basil! I like the mpre ambiguous ones like L and 7pm as they yield such interesting differences! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and I loved your labyrinth story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous photos, I love the labyrinth shot and story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pictures, great idea for a post :)

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!