Thursday, May 15, 2014

An Extraordinary Collage



I just read Griffin and Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence, a story that's told in a trilogy of novelty books. The first book was published in 1991, and I was aware of it at that time, but never read it. Now I've just read all three.



If you don't know about the books, Griffin is a postcard designer and Sabine is a stamp designer – a match made in heaven, right? That match is manifested in letters and postcards within interactive books – some of the correspondence is in the form of letters that are tucked into envelopes.


All the pages are illustrated to show us the postcards, writing, envelopes and stamps. The books are works of art, and the cryptic love story is told from alternating points of view and various locations across the three, short books.


There's an inherent intensity to the writing, which you can feel in this quote from Sabine:

Foolish man. You cannot turn me into a phantom because you are frightened. 
You do not dismiss a muse at whim.


So here's me in my collage room, writing furiously away on correspondence that will be stamped, postmarked, flown around the world to a mystery location where it will be handled by strangers and then put into someone's letterbox.

Or will it?

Does that address exist?

Is there someone there to read my missive?

And why do I have a goldfish on my head?


I think the author/illustrator, Nick Bantock, can easily be credited with creating the collage style that dominates paper craft these days (see Altered Pages, Altered Bits, Alpha Stamps, Piddix, Stampington magazines and products, etc., etc.). Those of you in western Canada will be interested to know that he lives on Saltspring Island.

And I can thank Maricel for bringing him to my attention in a comment she left me a few months ago. So I'm linking up with Maricel and Selah for Thoughtful Third Thursday - come check it out!

I've got some blogger meet-ups coming up soon in the "meat" life!

Val

21 comments:

  1. This is SO cool! You got really creative this month. You know, we clarified the outfit rule, but I never even thought about a paper collage - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read those books when they first came out - I've read "Shadows of the Wind" recently (terrible, avoid it). I love your collage room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of these books at all, but I love that you were inspired to write postcards (or were you?) in a collage room! And why NOT have a goldfish on your head? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT'S ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! (And yes, I'm screaming and not just accidentally leaving caps lock on.) I was about to gush about having read Griffin and Sabine too when I got to the part about my introducing you to them. LOL.

    Thanks for the shout out, the link up and the inspiration for T3 - see, this is what linkups are all about! I love getting ideas from creative and ingenious people like you. Keeps my juices flowing, and not in a scatological or sexual harassment sort of way either. :D

    P.S. I appreciate seeing the "behind the scenes" photo as well. Now I know how to recreate it if I wanted (and I just may since next month's T3 theme is a doozy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like the perfect book for you with all its collage-y-ness. And now I want a goldfish on my head!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Makes me want to sit this weekend and do collages!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a super neat idea! Stopping by from Thoughtful Third Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saltspring Island? Well who knew? And me loving this style and all those magazines! Had not heard of the books, and will definitely check them out. They do look like the type of book that would entice bad people to cut out pages....which could very well be my number one peeve. What is wrong with some people? Cutting pages out of library books! Sheesh!!! Oops, sorry about the rant on your lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made my online library request! See how influential you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun!

    This brings back memories of my scrap booking days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO going to go home and put a goldfish on my head!!!! So clever. And and intriguing book!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adored those book- think I read the first two, and yeah, what a personal influence and on the world of scrapbooks in general. Gorgeous. Full of poesey. I can see why you loved them. Love the goldfish hat, and love the fact that coming up is a face to face with fabulous you. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to see those books. I am very intrigued with the currently popular collages and mixed media art styles I see and yet after awhile I also find them all looking the same. I have several Stampington publications-Where Women Create and Art Journal but got over exposed to that stuff. I would like to investigate Nick Bantock though! I love Saltspring Island. It's very artsy but wealthy artsy. I could probably not afford to live there.

    I do think you should wear a goldfish on your head more often. It is utterly charming. I love your art and it makes me want to create a collage garden and put myself in it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I do love your collages here! This is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A friend gave me those books for my birthday when they came out, and I remember the delight of taking each letter out of the envelopes and reading them. I thought they were the coolest thing. I love the photo of you in your collage room, and I think large goldfish should be worn as hats as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful interactive book, reminds me of one we have ( it is a kids one, but it was an Eqyptian book with letters from explorers, artifacts etc, it was fab) your collage (I misspelled it coollage, I think I prefer that!) is brilliant and a goldfish on the head is de rigeur! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that live-in collage! You're SO incredibly creative. Putting a goldfish on my head helps me stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  18. u cre8 fave world in yr mind here such luv yes want to liv there
    yu more talnt than book wher your book? luv book
    i kno that fish name is petr don't eet him nice fish good for oreng sanwich no no

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the whole series...unfortunately i loaned them to someone who moved away with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just got the book. Just read the book. What a delightful read. I couldn't put it down. Now, I have to request #2.

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!