Sunday, March 9, 2014

Black and white and red all over



It occurred to me this year that I've had major things happen in my life in years that end in 4 – it's been 50 years since my first big overseas trip, 40 years since I graduated from high school, 20 years since I met my husband.

So, of course I'm going to mark these anniversaries here on Muse Fondue. I'm kind of excited about this, and I've been getting ahead of myself writing posts and scanning pictures for these future dates (I can get away with a little skiving at work). But I had nothing ready for this post - no theme, no cute little story. I'm just winging it.

I did take some photos of a recent outfit that I really liked. It was so simple I don't know why I hadn't worn this before.




The skirt (Fresh Produce, resale) has one large pleat on the side to give it a little swing and fullness. I didn't wear tights or boots because we've actually had some nice weather lately! It feels like a trick, but I'm hoping it's Spring.

Snow leopard cardi - retail; belt - thrifted; snooty face - I was born with it.

The shoes are Cliff's White Mountain. I think I bought them at TJ Maxx a few years ago. They were plain black, but they were too boring - so I blinged them up. Another shoe transformation!

with veins

I painted the cross strap thingy and added some sparkles on the large buttons.

without veins


I won a prize from Bella at The Citizen Rosebud! I didn't even know it was a contest - I just commented as usual and she pulled my name out of one of her amazing hats, and sent me this package of red delight!


Just what a post-menopausal woman needs - my very own Vinnie's Giant Roller Coaster Period Chart & Journal Sticker Book, and Tampon Case!


Um, yeah, I won't go so far as to say that I wish I was still having periods, but you might as well make them fun. The cool gingham bag is mine, but I'll find another home for Vinnie and his helpful journal ("Really works!") and tampon case.

Visible Monday is on this week, so you know I'll be there with Patti and the gang.

Tuesday it will be time for a Shoe Shine at The Citizen Rosebud, so I'll be hoofing it over there, too.

Have a great week!

Val


23 comments:

  1. Ha ha! That is hilarious about the tampon case and chart. I'd like to know just exactly how it "really works" cause I haven't been able to make my period "work on time" my whole life! Maybe if I start writing it down on a chart it'll start to behave?

    I love that snow leopard sweater. Very cute.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love that Period Chart! I remember the days, when it was later than usual and the hours seemed to creep by until . . . hooray! Not preggers! You look very cool in your leopard and black, and I do the same vein/no-vein with my hands. Damn gravity. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feet in the air! I think I'm going to rename my blog. Sometimes the simplest outfits are the best. I still keep a half empty box of tampons in my bathroom. Maybe I should get them bronzed like baby shoes and hang them from my rear view mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha what a funny prize!!!! The shoe transformation is super!!!! Well done to you for beautiful shoes!! I love them and snow leopard print is the one animal print I quite like!! Looks great on you! Snooty expression is great- how much, where can I get one? (Ha ha, I actuallly did snooty expression in some photos today!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great prize! I love your leopard cardigan, and you're inspiring me to get going on customizing my Vizzini-gnawed Fluevogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Val! You make me smile! That cardi is absolutely adorbs and I envy you your ability to belt it. But we all know that those shoes are the showstopper in this ensemble. You are too darned crafty for me - I would never have thought to bling out shoes. Good thing I'm not as creative or I'd find even more reason to keep items long past their expiration date.

    Congrats on all your milestones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val--I'm missing your posts. I'm going to reenter your name on bloglovin'. I like how you are personalizing items with your own creative flair. This outfit looks great on you! Comfortable and stylish. The sweater with the belt is a pretty combination. Funny gift!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Val I was wondering why I hadn't seen your blog pop up--you switched blogs! Good thing I FINALLY checked in to Patti's Visible Monday (it's been an interesting 6 months...) and saw your face!!! You look fantastic. That Period Chart lmao!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val, I laughed out loud when I saw your no vein photo! And I love your shoe upcycle! This could become a Val trademark. I'm glad you showed us your prize. I had never seen a Period chart quite like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple and elegant outfit, and a snooty expression is always the best accessory! Great blingifying of the shoes. Period chart? I had no idea they existed, but like Suzanne, I am mystified by the claim that it "really works"! The ideal prize for the post-menopausal woman... Bella has met you, right?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val, you always make me laugh...Interesting prize, I have never seen a period chart either, no need now either. Your leopard cardigan suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love a cardi with a big belt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to reading about all your milestones. Doesn't Bella give away the most offbeat things?
    That cardigan is very chic and I love your embellished shoes!

    Alicia
    spashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shoe bling up is genius! So glad they'll be over at Shoe Shine tomorrow. Love the outfit- KISS works I guess, and that you had a good laugh on the Vinneis! I'm glad you get to keep the gingham bag!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vinnies book looks way more interesting than the Clare Raynor book my Mum gave me (it was so boring I skipped the girls bit to find out about boys, and was still none the wiser) I love your feet in the air pose!! and your outfit! your blinged shoes are cool, I'm looking forward to your milestone post x x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, congratulations on your "Vinnie" win - are those for real? Circa when??? That Vinnie sure had unusual interests, yes?
    Great outfit...especially the reworked shoes, which are brilliant! I love it when you change things up that creatively...gives us all a nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Val, thanks for visiting my blog today. Love the shoe transformation, goes well with the outfit. http://thecookingwardrobe.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your portrait - such an expression! Love the leopard cardi with this wide belt - looks wonderful. Feet in the air are simply genius!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeap i remember the days when i kept kind of period chart, hilarious what you got from Bella!
    When i first look at your post, i said to myself, Oh Wow Val is looking so elegant!
    Oh! and my test is a colposcopy totally different! no drugs needed!
    All went well, the cervix is looking good!

    Take care, big hugs

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wasn't expecting as big a laugh as I got when I started looking at you pretty outfit. It is a good one ... how cool would it be with a crinoline under for the summer? Air feet without veins. Val ... you make my life a better one just cause you do stuff like this. You will, however, drive me to premature use of Depends if you aren't careful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You never fail to make me laugh! I've come to appreciate 'the veins.' They've been with me for a long time now, and I think I just got used to them.

    I love the close-up! I think introspective as opposed to snooty!

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!