Tuesday, February 11, 2014

TED Talks to Me


Have you watched any TED Talks online? Or have you even heard about TED? It all sounds too good to be true, but it is true! This is from their website:

TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out in 1984 as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with two annual conferences -- the TED Conference and TEDGlobal -- TED includes the award-winning TED Talks video site, the Open Translation Project and TED Conversations, the inspiring TED Fellows and TEDx programs, and the annual TED Prize.

I've seen a few TED Talks, and recently watched one that I want to share with you - Art that Craves Your Attention. Blogger only lets you add video from YouTube, but you can use this link to see the video on the TED website.

That led me to this one about another artist.
 
So when I was looking around the website, I read more about their conferences. The next one is in Vancouver, BC, in March, and some of the speakers include Bill Gates, Melinda Gates, Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly, and Sting! There will also be tech experts, a font designer, activists, writers, jugglers, a magician, a model, scientists, and a cruciverbalist – and more! It's sold out, but if I'd known about this sooner and had a spare $4,000, I would love to go.

But if I can't go to the TED conference, I can link up to 52 Pick-me-up at Spy Girl.


The theme this week is In the Pink, so here I am trying out an old hot pink cotton shirt with my new-to-me purple jacket (also seen in my last post). Yes, pink and purple together, and I'm not apologizing.


This shirt had no shape, so I added a couple of vertical darts in the front. 


And I'm throwing in a gratuitous shot of the Tom's that were in my last post (but taken on a different day) so I can link up with Shoe Shine at The Citizen Rosebud.

Shirt – Walmart
Jacket – Harve Benard, thrifted
Jeans in first picture - Levi's, thrifted, second and third pictures - Lee's

Have you heard of TED? Have you heard of Spy Girl and Citizen Rosebud? Go check them out!

Val

14 comments:

  1. You added your own darts? How uplifting! I had to go on TED detox. I used to spend hours and hours just soaking up TED info. I didn't get a damn thing done. I had to stop. I was kind of a TEDaddict. You look pretty in pink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought TED Talks were only for liberal educators and I felt like I had to surrender my liberal educator card for never having heard of it before this summer when everyone at the Yale program I worked at kept mentioning it. (How's that for a run-on?)

    Anyhow, thanks for reminding me about Shoe Shine. Had it on my list of linkups but I didn't think she'd continue since she's not blogging anymore. Would it still be apropos of me to join if I've not done so in the past? And speaking of shoes, I received and will sadly return my Union Jack Docs. They're made in Thailand and the quality of the leather is subpar. Even my hubby agrees and tells me that if I really wanted Made in England ones, I'd have to spend double what I did at Zappos so my dream Docs will forever remain that...a glorious, impossible dream. Here's hoping you get yours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, yup, and yup. A paltry $4,000 for a ticket? Puh. I'm thinking of I'm organizing an arena-filled series of talks too, called MARY, with such topics as dust bunnies and quarks. You can speak too, Val. I think TED is cultish. MARY would cost $6,000 per ticket.
    I love that you added your own darts! And purple and pink together are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes I have watch TED talks on my ipad. I listen to then while I work sometimes. I think they are always highlighting interesting people and issues. I like the "Fresh Air" interviews on NPR too. I had no idea that the tickets were that expensive, wow. Why? Your shoes are super cool and these colors together are great. Winter is getting long so color is needed!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little french me didn't know what the heck darts were! But i figured it out ha!
    Yes in know TED but like Connie says it's time consuming but nonetheless interesting -
    Love your wedge, they look fantasticaly ( can you say that word??) comfortable!

    Have a great day

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you included another shot of those booties. I love them and the colour.

    I've listened to TED talks before online and loved them. They do suck up time but are so fascinating. I think I need to watch one now. LOL

    I cannot believe tickets are $4000. I was thinking I could go and visit my parents in Vancouver and squeeze in the TED talks…but no…I don't have an extra $4000 in change in my pockets for that. I guess I'll just watch online. So sad I'll be missing Sting.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of TED, I did try the link but nothing happened, I'll have a look later as it all sounds interesting, I'll pass on the ticket though! I'm happy to see gratuitous shots of the boots, bloody lovely they are, as is your fab outfit! pink and purple are lovely together x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh, never heard of TED...It sounds as though if I start seeing TED, I may become obsessed with him. Maybe Melanie is right..cultish, perhaps? Makes sense that they will be in Vancouver then....just sayin'.

    Enjoy your pink and purple! Of course, they go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, those TOMS are nice!!! I fancied one of their smarter pairs too!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup! TED rocks, yes?! Huffington Post maintains a pretty good TED Weekends page off their Tech section.
    What a pretty, atmospheric photo! You look grand. Sweet little alteration to that shirt ... I'm inspired. I often mess with the fit of shirts, but haven't done vertical darts ... useful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never watched TED. I see all of them on Netflix, but I've never given them a chance for fear it would be boring

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am clearly an idiot since I have NO idea what TED is!
    But I do know you look great in pink, and pink and purple are a wonderful combination.
    Not such an idiot after all then... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ted talks- love 'em. But the price and their history yeah a bit elitist I mean for the professionals. Love that pink on you. And those shoes. By the way you won the #shoeshine giveaway, so I'm gonna need your mailing addy. Hugs. -B

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!