Thursday, January 23, 2014

If at first you don’t succeed, Redoux


This is the tale of two black skirts, neither of which is pictured in this post.
 


The first one is a beautiful wool midi skirt I bought at the thrift store for about $8 - Talbot's brand, side button opening, fully lined, like new. But I can't show it to you. I was little optimistic when I tried it on. The first (and only) time I wore it to work I couldn't breathe! I thought about moving the buttons to give me more room, but that would ruin the line of the skirt, and even then it would never be truly comfortable on my post-Christmas girth.

So I took it to a local resale place - The Redoux Parlour. I'm adding the link because their website is very clever!


The Redoux Parlour is owned by Laura Lee Laroux – again, clever, huh? She's a fashion designer. The shop sells clothes by her and some other local designers, as well as resale items. And they do alterations. And they even have a sewing class.

Besides the skirt, I took some other clothes down to trade a couple of weeks ago, plus a top to be altered. I found a different black midi skirt that fits better, and I got this beautiful shirt by Jones New York.


This shirt is so well made. As Sheila would say, it's got good seaming. And the patterns are put together perfectly symmetrically. 

The fabric feels lovely, and although it's 100 percent cotton, it's barely been kissed by an iron. It fits like a glove, and it only cost $10, which I paid for with the things I traded.

skirt - Christopher & Banks; belt - thrifted; boots - JCP

The belt, skirt and boots have been seen before on my old blog, lots of times. The necklace was a Christmas present from my stepdaughter.

I'll show you my new-to-me black skirt (that I can breathe in) very soon. 

And in a couple of days I'll be linking up with Tres Chic Style Bits at Searching the Inner Me, and of course Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style!

Have you found some good treasures lately?

Val

26 comments:

  1. The pattern does indeed match beautifully! Gorgeous jewel colours and quality, quality cotton! Good find. I'm going to check out the website, just for fun! Okay, 'til next time when we see the new black skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Lee makes me think of me, except much hipper, cuter, and successful! When I'm next in Eugene, we will definitely go there!

      Delete
  2. That is a freakin' lovely blouse! Look at how the pattern lines up! Squee! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, your story reminded me of a similar situation I found myself in. I found a glorious heavy full wool skirt, perfect for upcoming winter. And then I found I was wheezing in it before half the day was out and I couldn't sit down comfortably. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good deal Val! The blouse is gorgeous, I love that rich oriental pattern and the beautiful colors. And not to forget it fits you perfectly. I look forward to seeing your new black skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blouse is a real winner. That shop seems very cool.

    Can't wait to see the other skirt.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shirt is perfection, it was made for you! it's a great shop to have nearby, actually I should sort out my own stuff that doesn't quite fit and get it sorted (breathing is important, apparently!! hehe) all I have got recently is brooches and scarves x x x have a lovely weekend Val x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look look great, Val. That'll score you more deserved compliments on your walks for sure. My trick lately for letting things out just a smidge is to sew a huge honking zipper, those very wide clunky ones, in a contrasting colour, right on top of the old one (or buttons, etc.) on the "good" side of the garmentand pretend I bought it that way, all post-moderny and post-worthy constructivistic. The extra seam allowance from the zipper wideness works a charm. But it's so much work!! I'm glad you found a skirt that fits you properly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shirt is perfect, isn't it? Smart, stylish, a great fit - all good. And I shall look forward to seeing the new breathable-in black skirt. Breathing is also good! Beautiful necklace too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one beautiful blouse and what a great price. I like the colors and pattern matching is a sign of good quality. Blouses by this brand retail for $70 to $90 so this a great deal. Sounds like a store worth visiting often. Seems to be many good deals out there right now.

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I really like the colour and style of your hair. Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous shirt; very rich colours in the pattern, and fits you perfectly! I can't get away with not trying things on anymore as my waist has become much bigger than I think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is indeed a wonderful shirt - great design and - no ironing? Love that. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blouse is wonderful, Val and it looks so good on you! You can do so much with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Val--that is a gorgeous blouse. JonesNewYork and Christopher Banks/CJBanks are two brands I look for whilst thrifting. They are always great quality!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have, actually, and I shared one today over at Spashionista.com ;-)

    I wish we had a similar setup here in Nashville.It's a genius idea and a great business model. I love the shirt! When you said it was 100% cotton I cringed, but it looks crisp and is a great color on you ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. The way your styled the skirt is nice. The top is great and the wide belt gives your waist a nice accent. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That shirt does fit you beautifully, what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That shirt is fabulous and the pattern matching is beyond. It looks like it cost a fortune. I wish I had the tiniest bit of luck vintage shopping. Perhaps I just haven't found the right store (or don't have enough patience!) But with finds like that, I'm tempted to keep trying! Amazing!
    xo ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a deluxe shirt Val. Good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the shirt, such a nice pattern and colour. You look so pretty!!!
    It's such a pity we don't have here those stores.

    Thank you so much for linking with Très Chic Style Bits.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm enamored with that gorgeous blouse...you know, the one that fits you absolutely perfectly! Great colors, top quality, and virtually free...what more could a girl dream of? Trading clothing is the barter system at its best, if you ask me. You've inspired me to do some thinning straight away!
    P.S. Love your new blog name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool look for you, Val. Thought immediately about the costuming for the Karin Blixen character played by Meryl Streep in Out of Africa. That kind of romantic. Besides being such outrageous buys! Doesn't get much better, does it?
    Glad to see you settling in to your new cyber home. Suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Redoux Parlour sounds like a place I would love to frequent! Beautiful shirt, and the fit is perfect. "Barely been kissed by an iron" is a phrase I would be inclined to repeat. And I know just what you mean.

    Looking forward to the new black skirt reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The shirt looks great on you! My recent find was a brown v-neck cashmere *sings the word* pullover for $2.50!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how that wide belt accentuates your teeny, tiny waist!

    ReplyDelete

Enough about me - let's talk about you!